Friday 20 November 2015

Meet Me...

Name: Aviva Stafford

Where I'm based: Cheshire, UK

Horsemanship/method of training practised and a brief description of application or principles: I certainly try to use a non-aggressive approach, but also a non-domineering one as much as I can help it. In horse herds there is often a ‘boss’ horse who will bully the other horses and some trainers try to emulate this behaviour so that they can be the ‘boss horse’. But I prefer to be like the horse whom the others follow because he has their trust and not because they are intimidated by him.

Whether I’m training a horse to actively DO something or desensitising him to an object/situation he finds scary, I try to break it all down into steps that he finds more manageable. Some need a process broken down into tiny steps while others will progress in leaps and bounds, but they are all different!

I think it’s quite important to understand some of the theories behind behaviour. A proper understanding of the theories behind ‘classical conditioning’ (Pavlov’s dogs, 1889) and ‘operant conditioning’ (Skinner’s rats, 1938) have had a huge impact on the way I understand horse training. I also think it’s important to understand the horse’s nature because then we can transfer all these theories in a way that will be constructive for him. Understanding how he thinks and his perception of the world generally, helps me understand why he behaves the way he does and so, needless to say, helps me figure out training solutions.

Summary of Previous Experience: I started riding when I was 11 and it wasn’t long before I was helping at local yards so I could spend more time with the horses. When I was 15 I met Pat and Linda Parelli at their 2010 summit and started getting interested in natural horsemanship. When I was 16 I went to study equine management at Reaseheath College. In those same two years I also listened to Andrew McLean at one his demos, took my Stage 1 and 2 BHS exams, attended a 5-day training course with Kelly Marks, undertook work experience on a polo yard (near Cowdray) and an equine-assisted learning facility (Hampshire) and I took on my first ‘loan pony’ as a project. After college I became a full-time volunteer for a charity and spent a lot of time on their equestrian side which they used to help vulnerable and disabled adults. By that time, I had discovered the healing power of horses and decided my goal was to become an equine-assisted learning facilitator as well as a horse trainer. I then went to Spain for 3 weeks, met Clare at Time and Space Horse Riding and experienced horses in a wonderful way there. And then I went for a year without horses and without riding (which was very difficult). BUT August of this year was worth the wait because all at once I attended an intensive 9-day facilitator training course with Tricia Day of EAQ and then took on Alfie and Roux, my two 6-year-old New Forest Ponies.

What I'm doing now: Backing and training my two young ponies (we love learning tricks!) and steadily building my portfolio toward becoming a qualified equine-assisted learning facilitator.

Idols and influences: Emma Massingale, Mark Rashid, Alexander Nevzorov





 Top left: Alfie making me laugh out loud Top right: Roux ready to ride (I currently use a bitless bridle and a bareback pad) Bottom: Alfie practising his bow 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aviva!

    Sounds like you're pursuing a wonderful area with horses! I'll look forward to reading more.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete